The past decade, market and economic factors demand hospitals, healthcare systems and their associated physicians align with others to create both large enough networks to operate under population health and to create radical cost reduction by achieving economies of scale. This has resulted in a growing number of organizations opting to become part of Strategic Regional Healthcare Organizations (“SRHOs”).
While the term was not historically applied, many SRHOs have existed for decades. In fact, there have been more than 60 “SRHOs” identified, making the term a permanent part of the healthcare market. The increase of SRHOs has only accelerated in recent years with nationwide support, resulting in the term being permanently branded in 2014.
The acronym describes provider networks, alliances, collaboratives or ACOs in healthcare today that meet the following criteria:
Strategic — Two or more significant healthcare organizations looking to achieve economies of scale by working across corporate barriers at least equal to competitors and build the geographic reach and infrastructure and capabilities necessary to succeed in population health initiatives.
Regional — Comprised of multiple healthcare organizations situated across contiguous geographies, including intra-state, statewide and multi-state markets.
Healthcare Organizations — A formal and legal structure comprised of two or more separate and distinctive healthcare provider organizations that can take different forms depending on the criteria and goals of the parties involved.
The development of these organizations led to the creation of SRHO, The National Association in 2016.
SRHO- The National Association Formation and Core Competencies
SRHO, The National Association was formed in response to the rapid and sustained development of SRHOs in markets across the country. It is a natural evolution of large and important healthcare provider networks that have common business interests and the potential for national scale. Our journey began in 2016 with an initial meeting of regional SRHO executive leaders in Philadelphia which included the creation of an SRHO Advisory Board. Founding members then met in Chicago in May of 2017 to establish the organization and SRHO, The National Association was formally incorporated and launched on June 1, 2017.
In 2016, SRHO, The National Association held its first national conference in Philadelphia and a National Advisory Board was formed. In 2017, the formal name “SRHO, The National Association” was adopted and the organization was incorporated and officially launched.
SRHO- The National Association’s Seven Core Competencies:
- Sharing and Collaboration around experiences and successes which creates applied capabilities that other SRHO Members and SRHO Member Affiliates can leverage.
- Sourcing of opportunities that drive radical cost reduction for SRHO Member Affiliates.
- Sourcing of opportunities that drive revenue enhancement for SRHO Members and SRHO Member Affiliates.
- Sourcing of opportunities that focus on clinical integration and clinical excellence for SRHO Members and Affiliates.
- Development of relationships across the SRHO Member and SRHO Member Affiliate network that allows for exponential value expansion and scalability of SRHO initiatives.
- Development of a SRHO – The National Association pipeline which identifies, vets, and coordinates the efforts around value additive membership additions, joint ventures, and investment opportunities.
- Sound fiscal and operating practices that allow for optimal management of SRHO – The National Association.
Governance and Board Members
Governance and Board Members
AllSpire Health Partners
President & CEO
Suburban Health Organization
Value Care Alliance
SRHO VN Board Chairman
Vice President, Strategic Development
Vanderbilt Health Affiliated Network
Kentucky Health Collaborative